02 September 2007

This Board is a Ding Magnet

Once again, the Tyler is sporting a nice little fin chop courtesy of someone at RPB, someone who had the nerve to get loud after our boards hit. I, on the other hand, am past all that. You want a pristine board? Keep your little happy ass out of the waters of L.A. County. And don't bitch at me for going left on what was clearly a left, a left I waited for, a left that the person next to me also identified as a left and told me to take, a left I took because there was no one to my left, a left which I clearly claimed, a left which I told those nearby I was taking ("I'm going left!!!"). I have no idea why this guy was going right. Yes, we were at a break which mainly breaks right, but that doesn't mean every wave is a right! Nor does it mean I don't take rights and take all the lefts even when it's crowded. I was only able to sneak in a few rides going left today. There were too many people to allow me to go left at will. A competent surfer who can read the waves can see the lefts at this break.

This is a photo I yanked from the free cam for that break.

I'm not quick to anger. I never have been. I do get angry. I can get angry. I choose not to be angry about most things. For me, this was one of those instances when you simply chalk it up to bad luck and move on. The other guy, it seems, felt the need to spout off. (I was thinking, "You probably drive like a dick too!") As I turned around to paddle away, I realized I had back-up. What the . . . ? There were Jeremy, Walter and Nancy with looks on their faces that truly surprised me. Those three were ready to throw down . . . for me!!!! Nancy even paddled over to the guy to have a little chat. I don't know. I know they were siding with me (and I thank them for that). I also got a sense that they were protecting the good karma in the air, like they were ready to step to this guy to keep him from ruining what was a decent morning for everyone. I find it difficult to be mad when there's a good vibe somewhere. Apparently, the angry dude (who I was told is a lawyer) got out. I stayed in. I was enjoying myself too much. The ding can be fixed. I'll use the board again tomorrow (with the ding either covered or stuffed with wax). Then I'll scrape off the wax, remove the fin and take the board in.

4 Comments:

At 9/2/07, 1:17 PM, Blogger jb said...

Reading your even-keeled take on the mishap was extra impressive coupled with Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band! Glad to hear you keeping it positive. That is not always an easy thing to do.

 
At 9/2/07, 2:14 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Thanks, JB. I definitely pick my battles. There was no reason to battle over this. (By the way, I've linked to your blog.)

 
At 9/2/07, 5:12 PM, Blogger jb said...

And I just linked to yours. Thanks!

 
At 9/3/07, 10:59 AM, Blogger surferbrat said...

Way to keep the peace! I had a nasty encounter recently where I had to do the same--but it still ruined my session. Sharkbait and I were in Pismo...I had just paddled out, and was staring at the horizon waiting for the next set when some dude straight landed on my the tail of my board with a giant thump! He must of either kicked out of a wave or punched through one and landed on me. When I turned around the guy was dramatically checking his epoxy board for dings and huffing and puffing and rolling his eyes like I'd done something wrong. I was shocked. He paddled off and it totally killed my good vibes. It didn't help that he was obviously the big fish in this little pond I'd never surfed in before--he caught everything and seemed to know everyone in the water. I felt like an unwanted guest--but I kept my mouth shut and let him be a jerk.
anyways I thought I'd share.
sorry I didn't get in touch on our trip. We surfed Malibu midday on Thursday then attempted to continue on through rush hour traffic (big mistake). That was it for our LA time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home