10 August 2007

Call Me "Shorty"

Did I mention that I gave notice . . . again? You know, I'm not even sure how many jobs I've had since I started this blog. Well, as the saying goes, "another one bites the dust". I decided I wanted to be there (wherever "there" is) when Soul Brother #2 starts kindergarten in a few weeks. It wasn't a hard decision. Stay at a job with no room for promotion and the possibility of doing the same work for the next 20 years? Or spend more time with my kid—taking him to school, picking him up, establishing a homework routine, getting to know his teacher and the other parents—at an important time in his life? You know the decision wasn't a hard one. So, I'm what prisoners call a "shorty". That's a guy (or woman) whose prison sentence is coming to an end, someone who only has a short time left behind bars. Am I comparing working in an office to being in prison? I think we all know the answer to that question.

7 Comments:

At 8/10/07, 10:34 AM, Blogger Kim said...

YAY!
(again)
:)

 
At 8/10/07, 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on ya' Sis. You won't regret it.
Why don't you kick off that writing career by submitting here:
http://www.casagrandepress.com/surfing2.htm
It's time.

And BTW the pose on the surfer statue is Hawaiian style, a la Eddie Aikau.

Aloha

 
At 8/10/07, 9:29 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

You're right, it is time. But I've got no idea what to contribute to the book you reference. I'll think about it and see if I can come up with something.

 
At 8/11/07, 5:28 PM, Blogger dgm said...

I'm happy for you. I was just thinking about how several of the blogs I read contain posts by moms complaining about their lives. They stay at home, and they find that depressing and stressful, or they work too much and that is depressing and stressful. I'm not saying it's not justified, as I have no idea what their actual lives are like. I just get tired of the complaining when, by all accounts, they have their health and enough money that they aren't starving. There are people out there who can't afford a laptop and an Internet connection, for god's sake!

So it's nice to read a post by someone who will take action to make her (and her family's) life better rather than just telling us all why her life is so bad. I wish you all the best.

 
At 8/13/07, 8:56 PM, Blogger cherryart said...

Take today. Grab it. Curl it in your fingers like rope and smoke. Be there as much as you can. I am here. Said good bye to my 13 year old cat today. Tears, tears. Curling her love and life tendrils in my fist. Sarah

 
At 8/15/07, 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm....dgm...ever read "An Open Heart": Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life" by the Dalai Lama? Must you point fingers at people you do not know or assume to know more than you do of people who are seperate and unconnected from you?

 
At 8/15/07, 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

djm is an angry dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home