30 September 2006

Magic Board = Ding Magnet

After this morning's session on the Slick, I discovered yet another ding. What's so frustrating is that I have no idea how it got there. Since the indentation is rather clean, I'm surmising it was made by something sharp, something like a fin. But how? When? Where? All I could think was: here we go again. And you know what? I'm not feelin' this Aqua Tech thing. I'm going to have to learn how to fix these things myself. In the past, I've gone to Aqua Tech in an effort to keep my boards in as pristine a condition as possible. The point of that was to keep the boards in good shape in the event that I decided to sell them. It occurred to me today that I have no intention of selling the Slick. That board and I will part company when the ocean dictates. When it breaks, our relationship breaks with it. Not before that time. So why, then, should I worry about having the ding repaired professionally and having the color matched? This board's sole owner will be me. It's time for me to start behaving accordingly. I normally fix the small stuff with Solarez. This one isn't exactly small. I can fix that myself, can't I (once I get the materials to do that)? Any suggestions? (Don't worry, I'm pretty damn handy for a girl.)

Surfed the home break today. It wasn't great. In fact, it was kind of small and dumpy. I got a good workout. Sometimes, that's all I care about. Now that the winter waves are approaching, I'm especially sensitive to the fact that it's time to be mentally and physically ready for what's ahead.

You know, I don't love my job. I've never loved any of my jobs. I do, however, like my job and appreciate the people with whom I work. Here's another reason why. I was introduced to a rep from a prominent wetsuit company last week. The buyer told him I surf. The wetsuit rep saw the buyer later that day when he met her at the beach to hook her up with a new wetsuit. The wetsuit rep commented that her surfboard was a nice one. The buyer explained it wasn't her board, but was in fact a board I'd loaned her. With that, the rep immediately said I needed to be hooked up. Now I've got a new wetsuit and booties coming. Sweet! What more can I say but . . . thanks!

6 Comments:

At 9/30/06, 8:53 PM, Blogger SlowPolk said...

This is a nice short book handy girl.

The Ding Repair Scriptures (The complete guide to Surfboard Repair) by George Colendich 1986.

$10.00 plus tax at your local Surf Shop (LSS)

 
At 10/1/06, 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

B uses this ding repair kit from ZJ's called Big Swell Products: Sick Little Ding Repair Kit for $15 and it comes with resin, fiberglass, sanding blocks, etc...he's fixed some gnarly dings with it. If you want, he can do it for you...just bring it over or send me an email!

 
At 10/1/06, 8:51 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Thanks for the offer, Ria. I'm going to fix it myself. It's something every surfer should know how to do, right? I'm going to a surf shop near my job tomorrow to visit the boar. . . I mean, to get a ding repair kit. If I don't like what they have, I'll head to ZJs.

 
At 10/2/06, 12:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is it throught the glass? Sometimes it's not even worth it. Good luck, and yes, you should learn to do it yourself. If for no other reason, what about that surf trip I know you're going to take where there is no ding repair shops to be found? When you're down in Baja and your fin breaks off and you have to use a bit of t-shirt instead of glass cloth???

 
At 10/2/06, 12:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yeah, and Slowpolks right, the ding repair scriptures are great!

 
At 10/2/06, 1:58 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

a free wetsuit? Big deal. I get all the copy paper and binder clips I want!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home