05 August 2006

Know the Rules

I'm stealing these from Surfline. This is the the "Bill of Rights and Lefts". Click on the link to read more. Instead of spending all of my posts bitching about beginning surfers, I'll post something to help them learn. I read this list often when I was a beginning surfer. I still read it on occasion. Here's the list:

1. Pick the right spots for your ability and attitude.
2. Don't drop in or snake your fellow surfer.
3. When paddling out, stay out of the way of riders on waves.
4. Learn to take turns.
5. Respect the vibe in the line-up.
6. Always aid another surfer in trouble.
7. When travelling, respect the local surfers.
8. Don't use your surfing advantages to abuse your fellow surfers.
9. Be responsible for your equipment and respectful of others.
10. Relax, have fun, and enjoy your surfing and that of your fellow surfer.

8 Comments:

At 8/7/06, 12:49 PM, Blogger gracefullee said...

I blame the surf schools for all the newbies in the water who don't know the rules.

 
At 8/7/06, 3:23 PM, Blogger reverb said...

ha..and will be happy for the rest of your life

...I agree with gracefullee

 
At 8/7/06, 3:49 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

Do they not go over this stuff with their students????

 
At 8/7/06, 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.ronjonsurfpark.com/
It will be incredible

 
At 8/9/06, 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

surfed malibu last week. i saw one wave with 10-12 people on it. i guess eveyone had to have it. these aren't newbies. in fact the only newbies i saw in the water were scared to death. it's the crowds. i counted close to 90 people in the water at one point.

 
At 8/9/06, 1:51 PM, Blogger Link said...

As a newbie, thanks for the heads ups that you and some of the other very cool surf bloggers are posting.

 
At 8/11/06, 11:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I blame it on what I call the 'skateboarder mentality'...

 
At 8/11/06, 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say it's more about how people who do this, they never will get it. Sometimes people are oblivious and are willing to learn. Others are arrogant in other aspects of their life...You could also say it's the "Snowboarder" mentality. I surf, skate, and snowboard and have been involved in at least a couple of these for over 30 years...sometimes people are destined to stay a kook...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home