21 August 2005

Where Are My Priorities?

They're certainly not related to paying bills. I finally got one of my little unemployment checks yesterday. I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of that thing so that I could get some of the smaller bills—electric, gas, DirecTV, etc.—paid. I don't rush off to the bank when the checks come. Unfortunately, they aren't of much help in the grand scheme of things. Still, it's nice to know that little bit of money there. Anyway, the men and I were sitting around yesterday . . . bored. Now that Soul Brother #1 is without his girlfriend (i.e., motorcycle), the normal karma of the house has been thrown out of whack. Instead of him going out and enjoying himself (while Soul Brother #2 and I find things to do—like going to surf shops), he now sits at home on the weekends with nothing to do to occupy his time. That means the three of us sit here staring at one another. I, for one, can't stand that. So I announced that I was going to ZJ's to look at and price the 3/2 wetsuits. The men were happy to tag along and get out of the house. Now, see, if they hadn't been with me everything would have been fine. I would have looked at the wetsuit, heard the price, and then told myself why I shouldn't buy it. (I don't have self-restraint issues with anything but surfboards.) The wetsuit that was recommended to me cost much more than I wanted to spend. However, the quality was such that I knew this was the wetsuit I'd be buying (at some later date) since I recognized the 3/2 fullsuit would be my primary wetsuit. I realize a 3/2 will be the suit I wear through much of a cool summer, through all of the fall, through the beginning of winter, and then in late spring. This realization made me acknowledge that I'd be spending some serious money on this suit. I've never spent more that $70 for a wetsuit. Even my 4/3 was $69; I bought is through the mail through a place that specializes in closeout apparel. I hate that suit. It's just too bulky and that's the reason why I hate fullsuits. My previous fullsuit was even worse than this one. Anyway, I was prepared to spend money (again, at a later date!) on a 3/2. Well, I hit up ZJ's. The guy who helped me, as it turns out, was someone who'd also been at LPB all week. After a short discussion, we realized we'd seen each other there. Anyway, he showed me why this Excel suit was preferable. I tried it on. I liked it. I then gave it back to him to put on the rack. I was ready to leave even!! Then my husband asked if I was going to get it. I said I wasn't. He reminded me that it is something for which I have an immediate need. I couldn't argue with that. So I got it. There went the money for the little bills. More money will be coming in a few days and I can attend to the bills then. But, see, I was so mature about the whole thing. I just went there to look at the wetsuits so I'd know how much money I'd be spending when I finally got it. Oh well. Thanks, Soul Brother #1 for being a supportive spouse! I was not at all happy about the price. I lucked out though. Many of the guys in that shop know me. It's the shop closest to the home break and those guys see me in the water all the time. I ended up getting a discount on the suit. Again, I've learned my lesson. It may look like summer and smell like summer, but if the water is still hovering around 65 degrees, it's a fullsuit summer.

9 Comments:

At 8/21/05, 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good choice on the Excel 3/2 -- that's the only full I have and it's lasted me these last two winters. I got it at ZJ's too..and I'm glad it was the first suit I tried on b/c by the time I was done taking it off I was sweaty and exhausted...no way I could've tried another suit on.

 
At 8/21/05, 6:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nothing like getting the green light from the spouse! I always act unenthusiastically about a big spenditure when my wife is with me, then she ends up pushing me towards the register. Then I can blame it all on her. Since she buys what I consider high ticket items for herself on a very regular basis, I don't feel guilty playing this little game. I just don't want her to know how excited I am about purchasing surf related items. You learned a great lesson on this shopping trip, and you got a suit that you'll have a much better relationship with since it sounds like it's way more comfortable for you. Sweet!

 
At 8/21/05, 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sis, I don't want to sound mean and it most certainly likely isn't my business but have you made attempts at trying to get a job? Seems like all you do is complain about how this place sucks while you have a dream set up. Take the kid to school, surf all day and recieve an unemployment check. I don't want to assume anything but you do come across as lazy.

 
At 8/21/05, 11:27 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Well, if you read backwards to June, you will see that I do have a job and that my summer employment was pulled out from under me at the last minute. I will return to the job in a week . . . which you would have noted had you read the previous post. I don't talk about my work much. This is a blog about surfing. But it might behoove you to read everything before making erroneous comments.

 
At 8/22/05, 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stand erroneously behooved.

 
At 8/22/05, 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

65 is a warm day up in NorCal!

 
At 8/23/05, 7:16 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Palmerman, where is the Rip Curl Outlet? I have a 4/3, but it's kind of worn out, so I need to get another one. I'll take CYT and we can do what you guys did. I'll tell you about LPB when I see you.

BZ, I don't think I'd even survive in NorCal. I'm a bit of a wimp about cold water. In fact, I can handle the cold water if the sun is out. But the sun didn't come out much this summer.

 
At 8/26/05, 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

take the 5 freeway south to el camino real (in san cllemente). turn left and the shop is on your left side about a mile from the freeway. on the right side is stewart surfboards. worth stopping there to look around. the outlet is called tresles surf outlet. a little further down the road is a the rip curl store. this is not the outlet. full prices here. also, while in san clemente, you should stop by the dewey weber store. it is off of the 5 at pico. they are cool guys and have amazing boards.

 
At 8/26/05, 8:04 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Thanks for the info!!! I may try to go down to San Clemente next week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home