20 January 2013

On the Death of a Fellow Surf Blogger

I've gotten a few inquiries of late regarding my blog's lack of updates. Do you know the saying "You can't fake the funk"? Well, that sums up how I felt about my blog in 2012. Remember, that was a year which began with me destroying my ankle. Unbelievably, the year went downhill from there. Did you ever? I can blog when I'm drowning in stoke. Yes, it's true that I'm almost always drowning in stoke. However, 2012 was different. It tested my mettle on every level possible. Blogging is a difficult thing when you're not feeling it. Rather than be a downer, I opted to turn away from the blog for most of the year. It was easier to do that than fight the urge to write, "Life sucks, and then you die." Life doesn't suck. We are all going to die eventually.

I learned today that Pabs has died. He'd recently written about a pain he first experienced while surfing: "As I quickly moved to pull off of the wave, I felt something POP just under my left chest muscle. I was completely surprised and shocked by the sensation, as I fell off of the board and into the water." This was something that never quite got better. He'd worried, ironically, that this injury would prevent him from surfing again. Ironically, I think that "injury" was, as he wrote, "the beginning of the end". No, I'm not a doctor. I don't even play one on TV. I just have a hunch.

His close friend left this comment on Pabs' final blog post: "Dear Friends of Pablo(Paul Koontz - the author of this blog):

I am so sorry to tell you that Pablo died this last Sunday night, January 13, at St. Joseph's Hospital in Eureka, CA from a pulmonary artery embolism. His obtiuary is posted in the Times Standard online newspaper(www.Times-Standard.com). Pablo was my best friend and one of the finest people that I have ever has the honor of knowing. We have been surfing together for many years, and it is hard to imagine paddling out without him."

R.I.P. Pabs

4 Comments:

At 1/21/13, 10:28 AM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

Sad just sad... I will miss him!

 
At 1/21/13, 9:42 PM, Blogger Steve and Cher Pendo said...

So sad. May he rest in peace. xoxo

 
At 1/22/13, 9:11 AM, Anonymous Sean Koontz said...

Hello, I am Pab's brother, Sean.

I just returned from Arcata, CA and dealing with my brother's sudden passing. There was a beautiful memorial service for him on Saturday, held by his favorite surf spot. It was a wonderful goodbye to a wonderful friend/brother/son.

Thank you for your blog post about him. I will be updating his blog with a remembrance very soon.

 
At 1/24/13, 6:06 PM, Blogger Surfing Grandma of OC said...

Sean I met and surfed with your brother last summer ... I'm organizing a paddle out down here... It looks like the tentative date will be Feb. 10th...
I will keep you informed .. If he has any other friends and family down south here ... Please keep them informed ...
It should all be finalized and posted on my blog by the end of this week.
Please feel free to contact me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home