26 July 2011

I Am Not a Beach Boys Fan



I loved the Beach Boys when I was a kid. The stuff about which they sang was so different from the life I was living. I suppose I was captivated by the idea of the beach, the sun and surfing even then. The Beach Boys were the closest I would get to any of that for a long, long time.

As the years progressed, I got tired of the group. They were too happy-go-lucky for my taste. That life of which they sang was seemingly too good to be true. I've lived a relatively easy life, but I still couldn't relate to the Beach Boys at all. Perhaps, in all truthfulness, they were just too stereotypically white. Of course, I've since learned that the surfers of that era didn't like the Beach Boys either.

This song is one I love. Perhaps it's the hint of melancholy in both the melody and lyrics.

I've been in a bit of a funk of late. This song, for whatever reason, makes me feel better. Whenever I hear "uninspired/drenched and tired," I feel like they actually get it. Life isn't about "having fun all summer long". It's also about making difficult choices and trying to survive. I hear that in this song.

I'll just keep playing it until I feel good about the world again.

6 Comments:

At 7/27/11, 3:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the feeling - It smothers you like a dark grey blanket sometimes.
You need to get outside more - it helps - a lot - honestly.

 
At 7/27/11, 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

some european american surfers did, like 'em that is. its probably the way i felt when i heard not all african americans like rap or soul or the blues....

 
At 7/27/11, 6:08 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

LOL, Anonymous. I was one of those black kids who was at home listening to Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Who, etc. People just didn't know what to make of me because, as you suggested, there was the thought that black people only liked black music (and that white people only liked white music).

 
At 7/27/11, 7:40 PM, Blogger Travel / Surf Guy said...

Hey Sis, best of luck with your "funk" as I too am in the same boat right now. I can't wait to get back into the ocean in a few weeks, it's been way too long.

I'm hoping that'll sort me out. But I hear ya and my thoughts are with you.

 
At 7/27/11, 7:45 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

My thoughts are with you too. I've been worried about you, especially since I hadn't seen any updates on your blog. I hope all is as well as it can be given all you've dealt with of late. Have there been anymore quakes?

 
At 7/28/11, 3:19 PM, Blogger Travel / Surf Guy said...

thanks Sis, appreciate it.
Has been crazy times indeed!!

No really big ones since the 6.3 in early June (we've had a few 4's and 5's) so I guess we just have to get on with it. Had EQC (the governments Earthquake commission) come out to do an assesment on our house as we are in a classified "orange" zone and we need to wait on a land assesment before we can do anything - very frustrating.

BUT on the bright side - I'm going to Aussie in a few weeks so I'll get a chance to get back in the water - I can't wait!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home