28 February 2007

Please Stop . . .

talking about, posting pictures of, and letting me see with my own eyes your new boards. You all know I've got a problem. What I wasn't revealing of late was my thought that my quiver was still incomplete. Something is missing and I don't quite know what it is. So, I've been talking to a local shaper about what I need. I know how I am. As a result, I wouldn't meet with the shaper face-to-face. I've only corresponded by email and talked to him on the phone. Because, see, I know how I am!! However, I want to make sure that the board I get meets my specifications, therefore I've been taking baby steps, getting to know the shaper, etc. Well, now I've lost my mind. All I can think about is filling out the quiver with this board now. Forget baby steps! I'm ready to run the marathon! And it's all your fault. I'm talking about the collective "you"—Whiff, Alan, Grace, Clay, Jason, Slow Polk, Surferbrat. You all should be ashamed for causing me such board envy. Thankfully, our finances are horrible right now. (Soul Bro #1's car is not on my good side tonight.) I must continue to take baby steps. I think, though, that this will be the board that will fill the gap in the quiver. I've been searching for a board like this for awhile. At some point, I came to my senses, realizing I'd need to get with a shaper to help me make this board a reality. It may be months before I get it. (Yeah!! Famous last words from the woman who would probably buy a surfboard a month if she could afford it.) You know what's ironic? I need to work more if I want to buy more boards. But then if I work more, there will be no time to surf.

12 Comments:

At 2/28/07, 8:49 PM, Blogger SlowPolk said...

Well I would like to have a heavy single fin pin tail noserider, a long Bonzer, KG quad twinzer and Model T Step Deck , etc but I realize now I partly buy boards to try to capture that feeling I feel when the surfing is good.
It is not working. Can't wait to see your new board.

 
At 2/28/07, 9:45 PM, Blogger surferbrat said...

Hey! I shouldn't be on that list...I haven't bought a board in ages...since this past summer! And slowpolk is right, it's important to make sure that you aren't buying a board to make up for a bunch of crappy sessions. I often dream of a new board that I invision myself riding on the perfect day, when the surf is shitty and it's pouring down rain. I'm in the same boat--to buy boards I'd have to work more, which means less time to surf. Resist the temptation! Buy one when you really feel like something is lacking, besides good surf.

 
At 3/1/07, 6:01 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Oh, it's not to make up for crappy sessions. This board has been in the works, in my head, for awhile. It wasn't until recently (i.e., the last few weeks) that I started bringing it to fruition. Okay, you're off the list and Sharkbait is on the list.

 
At 3/1/07, 8:22 AM, Blogger BeanCountingSurfer said...

I'm right there with you Surfsister!! I've researching boards to spend my tax refund on. I haven't even done my taxes yet!

 
At 3/1/07, 9:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry, I cannot change for you. You must suffer the envy as I continue my march towards bankruptcy. If you can't control yourself, that's your problem, junkie! Maybe your need to go to fiberglass rehab?

 
At 3/1/07, 1:01 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

Slowpolk has a great point. Many times I've exited the water after scoring great waves on an old faithful and realized the new board I just had to have was not needed. But, then I started to shape boards. Now it a surf related activity I can engage in when the waves are lacking. And it is similar to making art, another bonus. So I am doomed to have more boards than possible sessions will support. And not to make you feel worse, but my new bonzer is due from the glasser any day now, and I sold a board the other day for enough to shape and glass yet another blank! Buhwahahahahaha!!!

 
At 3/1/07, 9:20 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Every last one of you is evil!!!! Just for that, I'm going to get that board and post long, glowing entries about how well I surf it. So there!

 
At 3/2/07, 2:06 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

I'll have pictures up tomorrow. :-)

 
At 3/3/07, 11:22 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

I'm curious about what that board in your head is? A modern egg? A bonzer?

 
At 3/3/07, 9:27 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Well, I wasn't sure about the board that was in my head. I was sure about what I didn't want. You know, we all know of the standard types and shapes of boards. I realized, at some point, that shapers make all kinds of boards. So I went to the shaper and said, "Look. I ride a longboard. I love it. But it's not good for everything and I realize that. However, I don't want a full-on shortboard." Then I went on to tell him all of the different kinds/makes of boards I've tried. I also told him what I didn't want. Believe it or not, he's got the board we think I'm looking for. It will be a 7'0" thruster. That's all I'll say for now. I want to get it, surf it, and then really discuss it on the blog.

 
At 3/4/07, 7:43 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

Don't you have something close to that 7'0 thruster right now???

 
At 3/4/07, 8:11 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Yes and I plan to keep it. However, it's still not what I was looking for. I swear this is like searching for the Holy Grail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home