01 July 2006

Now I've Seen Everything



Not only was Marlon out at RPB today with his dog, but he was out with a dog that was sporting some kind of wetsuit and flotation device. I swear to you it was worth the paddle out just to see this duo tearing it up. The dog isn't as big as the one pictured. That made him all the more cute in his get-up. If the dog was scared, you certainly couldn't tell. And Marlon looked like a proud dad showing off his first born. I'm sorry I didn't have a waterproof camera with me.

Today's session was a fun one for me. Part of the reason for that was that Gracefullee pulled up right after I did. I love surfing with her. When we first arrived at the break, we were both indecisive about whether to stay. So we stood there. Looking. It didn't look great. But then again, I always remind myself you rarely find "great" when staring at your local breaks. Finally, I asked the guy a few feet away from us what he was going to do. He'd been looking too. He said he was going. As usual, that was good enough for me. As it turns out, the session was good enough for me too. The waves were fine. I got my share of them. I felt stronger than usual today. I'm not sure why that was. As a result, I paddled harder than I normally do and ended up getting more waves than I might during a normal RPB session.

A funny thing happened today. I finally found out why CYT seems to have boundless energy while I'm always complaining about being tired. Since CYT is on a new epoxy board, I insisted that we switch boards. I don't like epoxy at all, but I'm still anxious to try other boards whenever I can. The first thing CYT said after catching a wave and paddling back was that my board was not forgiving and that paddling it made her shoulder hurt. We talked about the situation awhile. Finally, we realized that her longboards are thick ones that provide a good deal of flotation. The Slick is thin. It isn't as easy to paddle as a big, honkin' longboard. We quickly switched back. I caught stuff on her board. I wasn't impressed though. Epoxy just doesn't do it for me. It feels dead. But at least I now know why I need a little time to recover from a hard effort when I'm surfing the Slick. And now I don't feel like such damn slacker.

3 Comments:

At 7/2/06, 10:55 PM, Blogger gracefullee said...

Hellooooo! And it was very nice surfing with you Day Two In A Row this morning. How 'bout dem close-outs?

 
At 7/3/06, 7:54 PM, Blogger BeFrank said...

Happy 4th! Is this a surf day?

 
At 7/4/06, 11:35 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Of course it is!!! I was at the 'bu by 5:30. Happy 4th to you too, beFrank!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home