22 March 2006

If You Were in a Surf Video . . .

what songs or music would you want played to best exemplify your style, vibe, state of being, etc.?

1. So Fresh, So Clean - OutKast
2. Heroes - David Bowie
3. Yagga Yagga (You'll Suffer) - Dennis Brown
4. Ain't Wastin' Time No More - Allman Brothers
5. Resolution - John Coltrane
6. Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Rolling Stones
7. Sun is Shining - Bob Marley
8. Don't Let No One Get You Down - War
9. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised - Gil Scott-Heron
10. Nothing Even Matters - Lauryn Hill

These aren't necessarily my favorite songs. They are, however, songs that fit my attitude about surfing. They're the songs I like to hear before a session. I've found that surfing—as well as middle age and becoming a parent—is calming me down to the point where I can't listen to certain types of music anymore. There's no way I could listen to anything fast or hard before a session. That's just not what I'm about anymore. That's why you won't see Bad Brains, Ice Cube, Public Image Ltd., and things like that on the list. Music like that still interests me, but only on land. My time in the water is all about calming down. This is why song #9 is not Public Enemy's "Fight the Power"; that song turns me into a Black Panther. I used to be much more militant when I was younger. Now, like so many of us in our 40's, I'm too tired to be militant. I see that militancy served a purpose, but failed to accomplish much. The music I listen to now reflects the fact that I've . . . (sigh) . . . mellowed. I think the fact that I surf a longboard shows that I've mellowed. The Surfsister who raced bikes would have loved shortboards. That's why I thought I'd be surfing shortboards eventually. I finally recognized that I'm not intense enough to race bikes or surf a shortboard. I used to be. And now I'm not. That's just life. Perhaps, as I creep towards old age, that intensity will return in some form or another. I doubt it though.

7 Comments:

At 3/23/06, 10:04 AM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

James Gang - Funk #49

 
At 3/23/06, 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crystal ball is showing...
It's showing a...a...
What the f..k?!?
It's.
It's.
Oh no.
It's a triple crankset...

 
At 3/23/06, 1:03 PM, Blogger gracefullee said...

I don't know about my surf video, but the song I most often find myself whistling when I surf is "If I Only Had a Brain" from the Wizard of Oz.

 
At 3/23/06, 5:44 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

A triple? Oh, hell no! I've still got the 11-21 on my bike. I'm now willing to switch to 12-23 but I won't be caught dead with a triple crank!

Okay, so the Stones song isn't all that mellow. Now that I think of it, neither is the Coltrane song. But in years past, I would most of the songs would have been up-tempo and there would have been two mellow songs.

 
At 3/23/06, 6:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yakkity Sax (the Benny Hill theme song)it keeps me from taking it all too seriously...

 
At 3/23/06, 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oliver Nelson's Stolen Moments. Just like how the surf movie Sprout begins. Especially when they finish the head and he starts to solo.

 
At 12/24/07, 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Surf Sister. Is that you paddling out with curlers in your hair and blue dress on? I am surfstyley on youtube, you link my clips.. I wanted to let you know a little surf history that no one else really knows.. since i have a huge collection of surfing on film and do research all the time.. i have discovered that the very first surfing in a cartoon was from 1917. Yep! and animation was only invented around 1915.. But what is amazing.. is This cartoon, shows a little boy who wants to surf, he steals his Mamie's ironing board.. you know this was back when they had the stereo type black woman with a red bandana on, kitchen apron etc... Aunt Jemime looking woman.. So she comes looking for the boy.. and swims out to him surfing.. she gets attacked by a shark but kicks it's butt, She ends up riding on the sharks back.. and in the end is called the SURF BOARD CHAMP and given a Medal.. Really, so the very first surfing champion to ever been shown in a film is a black woman!.. I will post it on youtube one day.. i haven't yet for fear of people saying it's racist etc.. though it really isn't . I'll send you some framegrabs if you want to put them on your site..It's Classic.. but who knew the first surfing champion on film was a black woman.. yep..Happy Holidays.. surfstyley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home