09 March 2006

Am I Dead? Is This Heaven?

Did I mention that the guy who occupies the cubicle across from mine is also a surfer? I was telling him I'd planned to go to the store to check out prices on skateboards. I don't need anything great. I want something to tool around on. The longboard skateboard I have is too long and completely impractical on surfaces that aren't smooth. My surf buddy suggested I go see the buyer who handles skateboards, saying she would let me try one out. Cool, I thought. Well, before I could go see her, she came to our department to see my surf buddy. As it turns out, she also came to see me. She'd seen me in the parking lot, spotted the racks (bike and surf) on my car, and knew that there was another athlete in the building. I'd already spotted her car days ago since it, too, sports racks. I eventually told her I'd drop by her office later about a board. (Fast forward to later.) There were several boards in her office. She let me choose . . . and told me to keep the board. Huh? I again mentioned I wanted to try it out and would then bring it back. No, she said. "Keep it." Am I on Candid Camera? Is someone playing a cruel trick on me, lulling me into a false sense of security at this place? My surf buddy also hooked me up with a radio yesterday. This was a lifesaver. I've not had much to do so it was nice to at least let the radio keep me company while I sat quietly—doing nothing, unsure whether I was allowed to read a book while I waited. (I opted to do nothing; no one can criticize you for doing that when there's no work for you during your first week at a job.) Once again, the radio was given to him by a buyer (to photograph for advertising) and then the buyer never retrieved it. It's been sitting in the box since that time. This place is cool. Did I mention they don't want you to work overtime? I'm sure it's expected during the few weeks before Christmas. As far as I can tell, that's the only time when my department would work overtime. How cool is that?

It doesn't look like I'll be getting out this weekend. The rain is coming again. If it doesn't rain on Friday and the wind cooperates, I'll go out on Saturday morning. The only thing I'm dreading is the water temperature. Wetsand said the temperature is back down to 55. I thought I was done with that damn hoodie. I'd stopped wearing it. If it's going to be that cold in the water, I'll put that dumb thing back on.

6 Comments:

At 3/9/06, 9:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sports retailer, my a$$, it's must be the post office! Just kidding, sounds like a great place to network... hope all goes well!

 
At 3/10/06, 6:26 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Are you accusing me of getting a "five finger discount"? I'm shocked and hurt. Okay, no, I'm not. I was afraid to just take the board. It felt weird to walk out to the parking lot at the end of the day with a brand new board. This buyer also has balance boards, skim boards, and foam boards in her office. It was hard to keep my eyes on the skateboards!!

 
At 3/10/06, 10:16 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

I was out yesterday and it was cold enough that when my hands weren't in the water paddling, they were wedged into my armpits. BUT it wasn't cold enough for me to put on the dorky hat, and it was so much fun that the water temp didn't matter. Of course, after all these crazy winds, I'm guessin' the upwelling is going to drop the water temp another couple degrees!

 
At 3/10/06, 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Newman!

 
At 3/11/06, 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you get paid to work there? Damn! I'm in the market for a good carving skateboard myself; we live at the end of a long street that's comparable to a "blue square" ski run, perfect for days when the ocean's flat.

 
At 3/14/06, 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave the hood off until the temp. dips to 50° or below...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home