09 February 2010

"You're F#$*in' Nuts!"

Hey, I can hear you! That's what I should have yelled at the orthopedist (the one who removed the decayed joint and replaced it with that stuff that makes me beep when I go through metal detectors). I guess he thought he was speaking quietly enough not to be heard. He made this sotto voce comment when I told him about the ramp in the backyard. Still, I could see the admiration in his eyes.

Little known fact about Surfsister: I have better than average hearing—so much so that I can almost always hear people clearly when they whisper. I can often clearly hear people speaking in lowered voices on the other side of a room. I can hear every little instrument in a song if the stereo is decent. My ears work quite well.

Anyway, I was in for my post op follow-up. My doctor wanted to know all that I was able to do with the knee. He seemed to be amazed by my enthusiasm and unwillingness to complain. Not once did he say, "Don't do that." He reiterated to me that I can do whatever I damn well please with this knee. His parting words? "I want you to try and wear this knee out." Serious. I used to kid myself that my doctor saw me as a guinea pig. Now I've stopped saying it laughingly. He obviously wants to see what kind of punishment a prosthetic knee can take. I'm more than happy to oblige him in that respect.

2 Comments:

At 2/11/10, 9:10 AM, Blogger pranaglider said...

I'm betting on you and against the titanium knee on this!

 
At 2/11/10, 11:04 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Ha ha!

I think the knee will win. It let's me know when it needs me to turn it down a notch. But I'm not completely healed so you never know what I will do once (and if) there is less pain with serious activity.

We shall see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home