28 June 2009

Fair Weather Swimmer

The sun was out when we left our house heading to the beach. The end of the month is upon me. I've yet to do my ocean swim. If I don't get 'er done by the end of the month, I won't start trippin'. I know I've been capable of doing it for about a week. Nevertheless, I want to put my money where my goal is.

Suffice it to say, I got to the home break only to find gray skies and wind. Not quite what I had in mind as the setting for my first post-knee replacement goal. I will go back to check it on Tuesday.

Good things are happening, by the way. I awoke to much less pain than usual. Once I decided not to do the swim, I came home to sit on my bike. I've been getting the pedals around for the last week or two, but I've not been able to do so in my cycling shoes. This is big. Cycling shoes lock your foot into place. Your knee has no option but to bend the required amount in order to do a full revolution. I've been pedaling in normal shoes since they allow my foot to slide up and down the pedal, thus giving my knee an easier angle when necessary. Today seemed like the day when I might be able to return to the shoes I'd wear were I to ride the bike outside.

Well, you would have thought I'd won the Tour de France. I was that elated when I was able to get the pedals all the way around. Don't get me wrong. It hurt. I'm still at the point where most things hurt. It doesn't matter. You're going to hurt as you recover. If, like me, you've had previous operations on your joint, it will probably hurt even more. The battle against scar tissue wasn't won in a day.

Tomorrow I go to see a massage therapist who specializes in releasing scar tissue. I'd found him long before I knew I'd be dealing with scar tissue issues. I just figured the massage was a good idea because they cut through muscle when doing knee replacements. I assumed that would be the only scar tissue I'd have to worry about.

I'm still looking at August as the month I get back on a board.

7 Comments:

At 6/28/09, 7:44 PM, Anonymous PG said...

"I'm still looking at August as the month I get back on a board."

"A board?" You need to recalibrate your spell check, SS. You meant to say "a mat."

 
At 6/28/09, 8:41 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Well, PG, I said August for a board because I plan to spend the end of July on my M-A-T.

Ocean swim, first.
Mat sessions, second.
Surfing on a surfboard, third.

 
At 6/29/09, 10:44 AM, Blogger BeanCountingSurfer said...

Are you getting an ART massage? I heard they make people cry.

 
At 6/29/09, 11:17 AM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

Good Job! You'll be back in no time. You know, there might be a side benefit to all this. Like those old folks who can tell when it it's going to rain because their old broken bone aches. Maybe your bionic knee will whistle when the swell is coming up.

 
At 6/29/09, 11:51 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

BeanCountingSurfer, where the hell have you been? I've been wondering where you ran off to.

I got the ART massage today. I did not cry. I did, however, think about kicking the massage therapist. I went to Dennis at L.A. Sports Massage. He's great!

 
At 6/30/09, 1:11 PM, Blogger Phishdoggie said...

Hi
Sounds like you are doing great. I had my hip replaced going on 5 years ago and got back in the water in three months surfing. It really works great. I know the knee is a much tougher joint. I have a friend I surf with who just got his knee replaced. I saw him 4 weeks post op and he was getting around pretty good. Can't wait to see him back in the line-up. Looks like Im going to need a TKR with in the next two years and just want to be able to surf. I enjoy reading about your rehab progress, you seem to be going great. Keep up the great work and I'm sure you'll be rippin it up soon!

 
At 6/30/09, 1:23 PM, Anonymous Jeff said...

Man! So sorry to read about your bionic knee keeping you from getting out. But I am glad to read that you are on the mend and setting goals to get back to surfing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home