20 May 2009

Heeding My Own Advice

I sent this yesterday to a friend I've made, in the Gnar, as a result of the knee replacement surgery. He's putting off a multitude of surgeries. In fact, he's not surfing because of a variety of ills. I gave him a good talking to. Then it occurred to me today that what I say to other people applies to me as well.

It's time for you to get everything fixed and in working order. That way you can go into your golden years kicking ass all the way there. That's my plan too. I figure this surgery gives me the freedom to become a kick-ass senior when the time comes. It's time to slow down, assess, repair and come out swinging.

I was already over my mood last night when I realized I'd sat through a production of Godspell at my son's school. I was in that chair for over an hour. I assumed that when the show was over I'd stand up and fight back a few choice words for my knee. Well, it didn't go down like that. I stood up and limped away. The knee wasn't overly stiff or throbbing. In fact, I felt pretty good. And the show wasn't half bad either.

3 Comments:

At 5/20/09, 6:24 PM, Blogger Tony Lewis said...

Wait till you get that first 'drop knee' turn in...lol.
I heard its best to show up at the end of your life beaten up and bloody, with a full load of memories, sounds good to me.
I would feel pretty silly dying of natural causes...

 
At 5/20/09, 7:43 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I have every intention of going out like that (i.e., full of battle scars and memories). I've told people my goal is to wear this body down to the point that I won't mind slowing down when I'm a little old lady.

 
At 5/21/09, 6:07 PM, Blogger Tom Threinen said...

I have a 59 year old female friend surfing like crazy after hip replacement surgery. I'm 60 this year, and wondering when this "senior" time starts... 70? 80? Certainly not at 60! So the knee replacement was a good idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home