23 November 2008

Johnny Rotten Has Spoken

The home break was unbelievably crowded today. I even heard a guy in the parking lot ask the question we've all been asking for many a Sunday: "Doesn't anybody go to church anymore?" The number of people in the water was completely ridiculous. I'd love to say the interlopers cause all the problems, that they drop in and don't play nice. No. I'd have to save that criticism for some of the regulars. Throughout much of the session, I was sandwiched between the two worst offenders. On either side of them were the interlopers. None of these people, not locals and not unwelcomed visitors, gave any thought to a lineup or etiquette. It was a true free-for-all.

After the session, one of the locals pushed my as he was walking by. These guys don't play. They accept those of us who've surfed there (and suffered there) for years. We've earned their respect. They throw serious stinkeye at everyone else. After the push, he laid it all out there in one sentence. If you don't start yelling at these people, I'm going to start yelling at you.

He wasn't kidding. Time to learn the art of the stinkeye, I guess. I prefer not to talk to people who piss me off, but if such behavior on my part means I must suffer the wrath of Johnny Rotten, I'd rather become a regulator.

9 Comments:

At 11/23/08, 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And that's how the bullshit starts. Don't do it.

 
At 11/23/08, 8:49 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

It's funny you should say that, Anon. After I typed this post, I thought the same thing! And it's just not me. I guess Johnny Rotten will spend as much time yelling at me as he does at everyone else.

 
At 11/23/08, 9:05 PM, Blogger borntoloser said...

Time to take a drive. Lots of waves if you just go looking.

Had the mat out yet?

 
At 11/23/08, 9:07 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Hey, asmith! No, I've not taken the mat out yet. I told Paul I was waiting for the right combination of factors. I haven't surf that much lately and just haven't had the opportunity. I think once we get past Soul Brother #1's surgery, I can take a step back and turn my attention to the mat. I've been watching some YouTube stuff on mats. I totally in love . . . and I haven't even tried it myself!

 
At 11/23/08, 9:16 PM, Blogger christian said...

I miss surfing with my buddy, Ryan. He did all my yelling for me. ;)

 
At 11/24/08, 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's right! You need to say something to these idiots or they will never learn. I'm assuming you're talking about Sunset...the break for misfit surfers!

 
At 11/24/08, 3:21 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Well, it's not Sunset. This is the home break, which is a beach break. Johnny Rotten is one of the locals who grew up surfing that break. I'd say he gives the best stinkeye I've ever seen. I've been on the other end of it. I, like so many others, had to surf my way into gaining his respect.

Don't even get me started on Sunset!

 
At 11/24/08, 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Surfsister!

Wassup,I haven't seen you in a long while, been surfin down south a lot.
There's a lot of the same attitude down there.
There's definitely a place for speaking up when someone's being inconsiderate, we have to instruct newer surfers on the error of they're ways.

Yelling should be reserved for sending a warning down the line that it's taken!

Laters,

Mark

 
At 11/28/08, 7:48 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

I think there's a way to manage a crowded line-up nicely. I'm all for yelling at people to back-off if you're on the wave and they don't know etiquette, but they should also be taught what the etiquette is instead of just being glared at.

I don't know what to do about the normal crew who are wave hogs. I usually paddle away after a greeting or two.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home