04 March 2011

It's Finally a Friday!!

Today is the day I will get my first full paycheck.

This is the day when I start looking at the forecasts for the weekend. Since starting this job, I've only been able to manage one session per week because of the rain. This weekend brings the potential promise of two days in the water. To say I'm excited is an understatement.

I'm already all in a state of bother over it. I want to get wet. I sit most of the day in an office. That's not bad. Many of us do that. What I find a bit difficult is that I sit in semi-darkness in an office without windows. Since I'm the company's proofreader, I sit in the department with the graphic design folks who put together the stuff I proof. They sit with their noses pressed up to their massive monitors. The light that had been over my desk, before I got there, proved bothersome to them, so it was disconnected. Once I was hired, it was reconnected. Then, after the outcry from the graphic designers, it was disconnected again. That meant my desk was, and still is, in the dark. Don't make me go into how long it took them to get me, the person who must often look at small type, a lamp. Order one from an office supply store? Not this company. Find one somewhere in the building? Good luck with that! It took a couple of days and then someone appeared at my desk with a lamp that had apparently been hidden away somewhere.

This is where I work.

Anyway, I sit most of the day in front of a computer. When there's no work, I surf the net if I don't have anything to write. I often watch the water. I want, and need, to see what the ocean is doing. I miss it, yes, but I am so glad to be making some money at a time when we desperately need it. Few people at my company do anything at lunch. Some people don't even take a lunch. They stay chained to their desks, as if doing so will get them into heaven faster. If that's the case, I won't see any of them up there. I spend my lunch walking, getting my blood moving, waking up my muscles, seeing the sights, looking for potential places to skate and thinking about staying fit to surf. I walk every single day. Sunshine. Fresh air. All of that helps to fight the stasis that rots your body and your brain. Yes, I said "rots".

Why am I writing all this? Oh, I don't know. It's my blog and I just feel like spending some time with it before I start my day. It's pay day. It's the day before I surf again. It's Friday. And I'm happy because I'm surviving in a milieu that I've found distressing for most of my adult life. For the time being, I'm content. The folks I work with are cool and quirky. I am a bit of an odd duck there, but I no longer feel like an outsider.

I've decided I'm going to wear Vans to work one day. Granted, this is fashion. And you do see some things, especially footwear, that will make you snicker. Still, it's more laid back than I first thought. So, I guess, as I allow myself to be myself, I will find the job even more tolerable. Vans will help!!

TGIF!

5 Comments:

At 3/4/11, 8:41 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

(From Pabs) I accidentally hit "Delete" instead of "Publish," so this comment has left the building in terms of being able to post it under his name. I still have it in my inbox though. I'll copy and paste:


I feel ya surfsista! When I started working at my new job last month, the desk they gave me had no light either, since the other co-workers, all software engineers, preferred the darkness. I did not wait for them to get me a lamp...I went out to Target and got bought a cheap one for myself.

Though the internet camera is blocked, along with some other surf-related sites, I still have found some back-door ways to get the information that I need to figure out what's happening with the swell. However, I also have the fortunate luck of having a boss who is also a surfer and he has told me that when the swell is good, he expects me to join him in the water...making up the work time after stoke-time!

Kudos on the fashion choice, as I type this I'm wearing my flip-flops at work. :-)

 
At 3/4/11, 10:18 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

God forbid I should spend my money on a lamp. When I was younger, I would have done that. I'm no longer that kind of employee. If you want me to do my job well, you have to supply me with the proper tools. Without a lamp, I can't work. Their problem, not mine.

Eventually, a lamp was found. Now if they would just do something about these chairs! (The one in which I'm sitting cants to the left and no longer has the ability to adjust its height.) The one I just ditched had no lumbar adjustment.

Tomorrow is a water day. That's all I'm thinking about right now, disability-inducing desk chairs be damned!

 
At 3/4/11, 5:01 PM, Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

I empathise.....I am struggling with my job which is only a 0.5. Luckily, with my slow healing injury, I now have 8 weeks of sick leave. In which to do what - feed my soul I think. If you are like me you may not be able to stay in that job too long, being in an artificial environment is just too soul-destroying. But we all need to work, so good luck with that. Getting out at lunchtime sounds necessary.....if you are going to survive.

 
At 3/4/11, 5:05 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I've never been able to survive long in an office setting. However, this is about money and nothing else for the time being. That will keep me here for awhile, but not forever.

 
At 3/4/11, 6:52 PM, Blogger Craig Wallace said...

I can totally relate, when my business was slow(self-employed) i had to get a partime job in a Real office 5 days a week, I was in the corner, no windows. I had surf pictures for a screen saver, streamed any contest that was on, and day dreamed often.

Keep your head down and focus on the money. Think about how amny new boards you might be able to by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home