13 June 2010

How Old Would You Be if You Didn't Know How Old You Was?

That's a damn good question, Mr. Satchel Paige. In fact, it's a valid question for those of us who have remained extremely active into our middle years.

I turn 47 tomorrow. 47. Four decades plus most of another.

And Satchel Paige's question is a good one. I'm at a point in my life where I don't pay much attention to my age. There are some reminders—like the damn presbyopia and the now-resolved osteoarthritis—but I generally feel great physically and content emotionally.

So as my 47th year approaches, I'm faced with a life in which many major changes are afoot. Americans believe life should be easy or, at least, stable by the time you reach my age. I know better. Life is unpredictable. Humans are unpredictable. Swells are unpredictable.

I'm not a great believer in stasis. Things change. One gets older and less inclined to accept the status quo, particularly when the status quo does little to contribute to her happiness. On the eve of my 47th birthday, I'm making difficult decisions that will make it hard to be full of birthday cheer. Nevertheless, I make them with my eyes open . . . as we all should by the time we reach this age.

Actually, I don't know how old I'd be if I didn't know how old I was. I'm just happy that I will be able to have a birthday surf for the first time since 2007. In 2008, I was on the injured reserve list with an injury to my right knee. In 2009, I was back on the injured reserve list because of the replacement of my left knee. I will be surfing on my birthday in 2010.

I like where I am and who I've become. I suppose I'd tell Mr. Paige that we'd just have to take a look at my birth certificate in order to determine my actual age and that I'm happy to be the age I am . . . reading glasses and all.

11 Comments:

At 6/13/10, 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like who & where you are as well. Dont change a thing. Ozzie

 
At 6/13/10, 3:25 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Sounds like a fine Birthday M

Happy birthday to ya

Bill

 
At 6/13/10, 5:27 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

Happy Birthday!! You should get a new board!

 
At 6/13/10, 5:30 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Ha ha!! Read the previous post. I'm picking up my new board at the end of next week!

 
At 6/13/10, 5:35 PM, Blogger pabs said...

Happy birthday...ya got a year on me, but we're living the dream of stoke! Read my "Sore for Stoke" blog entry...sort of relates to the whole turning old thingy. :-)

 
At 6/13/10, 7:49 PM, Blogger Travel / Surf Guy said...

Hey Sis, Nothing else matters except what you think matters - Happy birthday from this side of the world and may you have many, many more

 
At 6/13/10, 8:31 PM, Blogger Steve and Cher Pendo said...

Happy Birthday Sista! So happy that you're doing well and will be in the water on your b-day. I've spent some out of the water on b-days too, and can relate. Many smiles and many waves to you, too. xoxo
Aloha, Cher and Steve

 
At 6/13/10, 9:49 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

HBD, dudette.

 
At 6/14/10, 10:11 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

Young at heart forever. Happy birthday!

 
At 6/14/10, 1:24 PM, Blogger christian said...

Happy birthday and keep charging!

 
At 6/14/10, 1:40 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I totally agree with this post. Life changes. Its crazy to believe it doesn't. I'd rather just go with it than try to deny it.

Happy birthday waves!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home