31 May 2010

Let It Rain

So, Soul Brother #2 and I are at Whole Foods (or as one of my friends calls it—Whole Paycheck) looking for food to grill. We also needed to find something to eat right then and there. I tend to eat when my body demands it. I don't eat before I surf and often don't eat until hours after a session. As I've said before, I'm not into food. I eat because I must, not because it's enjoyable or some kind of orgasmic experience. Anyway, the little man likes faux sushi. You know, cucumber surrounded by rice wrapped in seaweed. Here's the rub: he won't eat the cucumber. He meticulously pulls it all out and proceeds to eat what is essentially sushi rolls with a hole in them. Anyway, as I leaned down into the case with the pre-packaged sushi (cos, you know, I still refuse to do the bifocal thing even though I can't seem to see much of anything even though I wear glasses!!!), I could feel the movement in my sinuses. Luckily, I stuck my hand under my nose and quickly stood up. Lo, here comes the flood!

At least I didn't drip that stuff all over the sushi. I'd moved fast enough to be safely away from the case as it all flowed into my hand. The child gave me that look of his which silently expresses his exasperation. He hasn't yet learned to act like he doesn't know me.

My Memorial Day surf was a quiet one. I hit the home break about an hour after dawn and was the first one out. I wanted to beat the inevitable crowd. I was lucky enough to have the place mainly to myself for over an hour. (There was one interloper who felt the need to be where I was even though the entire stretch of beach was empty. I paddled away from him enough that he eventually got the hint.) I don't know if the waves were good as I don't use that adjective when there's no swell in the water. I just surf. Later, one of the locals paddled out near me and I could tell he was not amused by the conditions. He then yelled to me, "You made it look good!" Ha! Sorry, dude.

Memorial Day, which was established in 1868, is not a holiday for celebration. It's a day for remembering those who died in the service of this country. While I'm no patriot, I do support those who served in our armed forces and those who've died for this country. War is hell . . . but somebody's got to do it. And for that, I thank them.

3 Comments:

At 6/1/10, 11:25 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

Oh, the nose-water gush!

Sorry I missed you at Home Break. I was thinking about going, but my old bones couldn't get out of bed after the Flight of the Conchords concert the night before.

They didn't sing our wedding song (Brown people/White people/Stick it together with the tape/The tape of love!), but the emotional sing-along a la Hands Across America about remembering the epileptic dogs made up for it.

 
At 6/1/10, 6:41 PM, Blogger christian said...

Well said about the solemnity of the holiday. I think it's important to honor the sacrifice, while at the same time pausing to celebrate life.

Great post.

 
At 6/1/10, 8:24 PM, Blogger Travel / Surf Guy said...

Hey Sis - great post and I love that feeling when you just know that your nose is about to release a small amount of the ocean that you have managed to swallow during a session. Made me laugh!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home