22 September 2009

Knee Replacement: Five Months Later

I'm not even keeping track anymore. I'm too busy living. I'm only doing this post because I know people are searching for any information they can find about knee replacement and recovery.

So, how am I doing? Well, I surfed on Thursday. I surfed on Friday. I was Mommy all day on Saturday. I surfed Sunday. I surfed Monday. I surfed today. I plan to surf again tomorrow. In other words, I'm doing well, I think. I'm surfing. I can ride a bike. However, I've found that the stopping and starting involved in riding in the city hurts too much. I've also developed a bit of tendonitis in my ankle from having to ride with my foot in an awkward position during the months when I could only sit on the trainer with a knee that didn't want to bend. Those were the months when I first couldn't get the pedals all the way around and then, when I could, I had to force it. I am certain that the tendonitis will right itself if I limit my cycling for now. As for the surfing, other than the fact that bending the knee past a certain point hurts like hell, all is well.

On Monday, after getting Soul Brother #2 off to school, I went to my brutal massage therapy session. Then I surfed for an hour and a half. That was subsequently followed by a one hour walk with the dog. The day ended with me doing my normal things: homework, dinner, dishes. In other words, I had a full day. My knee hurt, but the pain is now more of an ache. It's a sharp pain only when I try to force the bend. Today, I got the little man off to school, drove to San O, walked the dog, surfed, drove back, lifted weights and then did the "normal things" once again.

I can run. Two weeks ago, I couldn't think about running. Now, if I need to run across a street because the light is changing, I can do it. I do squats with low weight. There is pain in the region of the patella. However, it's not a serious pain. I'm not pushing myself too much. I feel like my level of activity is just right. I'm basically back to where I was prior to surgery. There is still stiffness if I sit or stand too long. That wears off once you start walking around.

I'm not sure what to say about the knee these days. I know it's there. I'm no longer miserable though.

I spend more time showing off the scar than I do thinking about the pain.

I like being bionic.

6 Comments:

At 9/23/09, 10:27 AM, Blogger pranaglider said...

I think you are officially off the IR list!

 
At 9/23/09, 12:44 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

"I'm basically back to where I was prior to surgery." Yes!! it will only get better, way better. Of course, I know little to nothing about knee surgery, but that pre-surgery x-ray you showed - how can it not get better? Your knee is like a fine wine!

 
At 9/23/09, 1:58 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

Yeehaw!

 
At 9/23/09, 6:34 PM, Blogger dgm said...

Awesome!

 
At 9/23/09, 9:15 PM, Blogger tango said...

That's what we're talking about! The scars are cool! Rock-On!

tango

 
At 9/30/09, 4:36 PM, Blogger David J. Hirsh said...

Thanks for following up. I am definitely waiting until the end of next summer now. I'm gonna coach baseball again this year and so I can't afford to be hobbling in December, January, and February (I was originally planning on surgery in November). All Stars will be done by the end of July, so an August replacement will have me ready to work with the kids again for the season following.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home