27 July 2009

Good Luck, Tom and Mike!!

Two of my boys are going under the knife this week. Both are surfers whom I met online as a result of this knee. Tom is having surgery as I type this. His knees are jacked up to the point that both are being replaced. I applaud that. Most people prefer to do one at a time. My mother, whose knees were replaced eight years ago, also did both at the same time. People like them are truly incredible. I don't know that I could take that kind of pain.

On Friday, Mike goes in for fusion in his neck. Whatever it is that ails him, it's prevented him from surfing. It's time to get that taken care of.

Both of these guys helped me soldier on as I've recovered from my knee surgery. All three of us are surfers. All three of us are surfers with bad joints. I swear when this is all said and done, we're going to finally meet and paddle out together. Pain-free.

When am I going surfing again? August. That's set in stone. That's a promise. Ain't no half-steppin'! I'm no longer content to sit. No matter what I do, the knee is still going to hurt. I'm not far enough along in the healing process to be without pain on a regular basis. Since that's the case, I'd just as soon be doing something I love while I'm in pain. My range of motion is still somewhat limited, but I've decided I'll work with what I've got. I have neither the time nor the patience to wait for my knee to catch up. I've not given up on it by any means. I still see the massage therapist and the physical therapist once a week for my range of motion issues. I'm swimming. I'm riding the bike on the stationary trainer daily. I'm lifting weights. I'm doing all of this because I want to get back on a surfboard. Well, it's time. I figure a few more weeks of healing will be good enough. Then I'm paddling out, dammit. This week I'm moving boards back into the Woman Cave. Hell, I may even paddle out before the month is out. I don't know. I just know I'm done. Surfing involves a lot of sitting in cold water. Neither of those things will hurt this knee. I can pop-up. I can stand. I can stand with the knees bent. The only problem I see is a wipeout on a sizable day. So I won't go out on a day like that. I'll have to start with the smaller rollers and work my way back up.

But I am paddling out in August. That's a promise.

12 Comments:

At 7/27/09, 12:02 PM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

we'll give you to Aug. 31st, so don't sweat it! haha. So, just curious, if a bionic surfer were to wear a leash, I hope it's on the "good" leg!

 
At 7/27/09, 1:12 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Therein lies the rub. I won't be using a leash any time soon. The new knee is on my back leg. I'd already realized that this knee can't take wearing a leash. That's fine though. I don't wear one that much anyway. I'll just have to stay away from the break with all of the rocks, at least for awhile.

 
At 7/27/09, 2:38 PM, Anonymous Kristin said...

WOW- bilateral knee replacement - very brave move! Hopefully he will have a short recovery....how has your recovery been? excited to get back out there again in august?

 
At 7/27/09, 4:16 PM, Blogger Phishdoggie said...

Hey Surfsister
Thanks for writing back. Saw the doc today and I told him about your blog and your progress, he told me that it looks like you're coming back strong. You are my hero! Keep on keepin on. I'm a New Jersey surfer and get to Cali from time to time on business and vacation. One of my best friends lives in Hermosa Beach so when my wife and I come out to visit we will have to share some waves! Keep up the great work. I will keep following your progress.

PS I'm regular foot and it's my back leg too, UGH! Funny when I'm done with all this crap I will have a left hip THR and a right knee TKR. I will be truly bionic.
Can't wait to see the film...The Bionic Surfers. Who do you think will play the lead?

 
At 7/27/09, 5:00 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

"Who do you think will play the lead?" I'm guessing Michael Douglas is a good bet since he's had a knee replacement already. But who can we get to play me?

Andrew, we will certainly paddle out when you're here. Let me know when you're here next.

Hero? Me? Not even!! I'm just stubborn. I think that sometimes translates into bravery. Thank you for the kind words though.

 
At 7/27/09, 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Play you? Gee, I wonder...

Signed,

W. Goldberg.

 
At 7/27/09, 9:04 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I knew somebody would say that!!! I love Whoopi. However, she's not athletic. She's older than I am. I'm pretty sure she doesn't surf.

 
At 7/28/09, 6:49 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Since returning to water, the question of a major wipeout has been a real mind game with me. As of Sunday that is no longer a question.
I hit the bottom in 12-15 feet of water after a pitch from an 8 foot peak. Scared me shitless, which I love.
Next.
Oh yeah, my first little wipe out,about 9 months ago, which was just really falling off the board, kept me out of the water for 3 weeks...
So it's all relative to your condition and the wipe, for sure.
May your first one
be "awesomne" Sis.

 
At 7/28/09, 2:42 PM, Blogger Phishdoggie said...

Michael Douglas? He's a little to old for me too...but he's cool. For you how about Lisa Bonet?

Bill I remember my first major wipeout after my hip. Bounced off the rocks at K-59 in El Sal. It was a little scray and I was black and blue for a month but everything was still working. How long has it been since your TNR?
Andrew aka Phishdoggie

 
At 7/28/09, 3:23 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Lisa Bonet? Oh, hell to the no! Too pale, too odd (yeah, she's odder than I am!), and looks kind of beaten up.

Okay, hmmmm. Who will play the leads? How about Jason Patrick? I love him! And he's fit so he looks like he could pass for a surfer. For me, I'd have to go with Angela Basset. That woman is a bad ass. She's got darker skin. She's got muscles. We're about the same age. And my husband has got it bad for her.

 
At 7/28/09, 5:51 PM, Blogger Phishdoggie said...

Oh yeah!!!Angela Basset, she's ripped, Yep Jason Patric would be cool "Lost Boys" was killer, and yes my wife love him too! Hey where's that break in the picture? It looks a little like crowed Malibu?

 
At 7/28/09, 6:14 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Yep. The bottom picture is the 'Bu during a lull. Way too crowded!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home