09 December 2008

Mat Session #1 - A Pictorial Post

STEP 1: Fill the mat with air. (You don't need no stinkin' pump.)


STEP 2: Plug the air filler upper thing.

STEP 3: Admire your mat and wonder to yourself, "What the hell do I do now?"

STEP 4: Make your way out to the lineup. Thank the stars above that there is no one close enough to laugh out loud as you shuffle, kick, try to mount the mat and kick, try to kick and pull the mat, etc.

STEP 5: Flail around trying to figure out where you should be positioned on the mat. Suppress the urge to sit on the mat (even if you've just finished a surf session).

STEP 6: Try for a wave, having no idea how to catch a wave, and laugh hysterically while you're doing it.


STEP 7: Catch what you think is a wave (until you see the pictures). As you ride it you wonder what that odd noise is. Realize that is you laughing, hooting and cackling all at the same time. Ponder the genesis of such a noise, one you've never heard from yourself before in your 45 years on this Earth.

STEP 8: Emerge from the water and pull yourself together.

STEP 9: Wonder if your parents bought enough E Tickets for you to go on this ride again!

11 Comments:

At 12/9/08, 9:22 PM, Blogger borntoloser said...

And so the slow decent into utter stoke addiction begins...

 
At 12/9/08, 9:40 PM, Blogger resintint said...

Ok...I want one of those!!
-f

 
At 12/9/08, 9:44 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

http://fourthgearflyer.com/

There's the website. Get in touch with Paul and get a mat!

 
At 12/10/08, 8:10 AM, Blogger christian said...

That looks crazy fun. We need to start a surf mat posse or something. I bet that would be a ton of fun at Zuma. :)

 
At 12/10/08, 11:29 AM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

It's much smaller than I expected (that's what she said).

 
At 12/10/08, 3:38 PM, Blogger Beach Bum said...

Mat madness - I love it! And sheet - your winter looks better than most of our summers xx

 
At 12/11/08, 9:36 AM, Blogger slidelines said...

damn got to get me one of those and recharge the stoke. nice one!

 
At 12/11/08, 10:16 AM, Blogger pranaglider said...

I told you you could do it

 
At 12/11/08, 11:37 PM, Blogger Jamie Welsh Watson said...

Reading this made me happy. I'm so glad you documented it for us to see!

 
At 12/12/08, 9:07 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

That looks super fun!

 
At 12/12/08, 11:14 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

This was more fun than it should have been! I loved it. Everyone should get a mat. It's a good way to still be in the water even if you don't feel like surfing.

On the day that I did this, my first, mat session, I'd surfed for about 45 minutes. I had a really good session, but the tide was going out and the rocks were coming up. I wanted to stay in the water. So I went and got the mat and moved to a spot where there were waves but not people. What a blast!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home