10 December 2007

Surftwin I'm Not!!!

It's hard to believe there was a huge swell in our waters within the last week. When I went to look at the waves this morning, there was nothing. Not a thing. It doesn't get much worse than flat with a high tide, does it? That meant I'd be in the pool . . . and I was running late.

Warm-up: 500 yards
Kickboard: 250 yards
Reverse Pyramid: 100 x 2, 75 x 2, 50 x 2, 25 x 2 (trying for negative splits)
Cool down: 100 yards

By the time I got to the cool down, I was pretty much done. I wanted to do a little more, but both the lifeguard and the guy in the next lane wanted to talk. When we all finally stopped chatting, I was really done (i.e., cold and tired of being in the pool) and the pool was about to close. Usually, I get in the pool and swim without doing a structured workout. This was the first day I made up a workout as I went along. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to shoot for 1500 yards next time. I almost made it today. I'll have to stop talking and just swim next time.

8 Comments:

At 12/10/07, 2:17 PM, Blogger twin said...

HA! 1500 meters (or yards) in an hour is a very reasonable goal. Nothin' to scoff at, sis.

btw...I think we're even on the prior sport status. I used to do a lot of off-road mtn bkg...but lately the mere thought of getting on a bike....makes my ass hurt.

 
At 12/10/07, 4:43 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

In an hour? I did all that today in about 45 minutes.

Speaking of biking, since I'm riding so much now, my ass (okay, pelvic bones) always hurt! I hadn't missed that part of the sport!

 
At 12/10/07, 7:21 PM, Blogger twin said...

1500 in 45 mins.....even better! Optimum....1000 meters/yards every 15 minutes. (I squeeze in between 3500 & 4000 meters on my lunch hour.)

 
At 12/11/07, 6:18 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Girl, I'm not going to the Olympics!!! I'm just swimming for fitness!! Although I will admit that 1500 was pretty easy. I'm going to shoot for just doing 2000 in one session (since I get bored).

 
At 12/11/07, 6:40 PM, Blogger dgm said...

I keep telling myself to get back in the pool, but damn it's hard to get motivated. I can motivate myself for a long run or a hard day with weights, no prob. But thinking about swimming for the first time after a long time always gives me agita, even though I always love it once I'm back in.

I'll try to follow your example...

 
At 12/12/07, 9:14 AM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

I'll have to time my 1000-1250 next time to see how I measure up, but it's a wee bit longer than 15 minutes me thinks...

And how do you keep track? My pool is 25 yards and I always throw in a copuple of extra laps in case I mis-counted.

 
At 12/12/07, 9:24 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I always lose count. When I did yesterday's sets of 500s, I know the second one was at least 600. My count got stuck twice at 350 yards before I realized my mistake.

I guess I'll shoot for swimming 1000 without stopping and check the time. But I'm sure I'll lose count again. Besides, I like doing the sprints. It helps with my paddling for waves. I can tell I've gotten much stronger over the last year.

 
At 12/12/07, 4:17 PM, Blogger twin said...

Clay....you do enough 1000's....you stop losing count. Although...I have to admit...swimming a 1000 in a 25 yard pool (40 lengths) is bit tougher to keep track of.

One one one one one, two two two two two, three three three......crap was that 34 or 32...ah fuck it...everyone else is stopping. lol...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home