29 May 2007

Three Days of Mediocrity

I surfed for three straight days . . . and the waves sucked for three straight days. Monday wasn't much different from Sunday. Beachbreak closeouts. That's always a lot of fun. I took the new board out though. Surprisingly enough, I got up on it twice. I think that's impressive when one considers that on Sunday I was riding a board that was two feet longer than this one. Usually, I don't make the transition to a shorter board that easily. I did get up on it and that's all I wanted. The waves didn't allow me to get a feel for the full potential of the board. I do like it. However, I need more time on it in order to determine whether I love it.

After awhile, I asked Gracefullee to trade boards with me. I've been dying to try out her new board. I thought she wanted to try mine as well. As you can see, we were out there shredding on one another's sticks. I was moving so quickly that you can't even see me in this picture!

Gracefullee is doing the home break move known as "Steel Yourself as the Closeout Closes Out on Your Head Before You Can Pop Up".


I was sore as a $@#!& today. But I went ahead and swam at lunch, thinking a swim might loosen up my tight shoulders. I thought my shoulders were tight merely from surfing. Then I realized that I'm also in pain from wrestling with the VW Bus. I finally drove it yesterday. That entailed getting it out of the garage and, even worse, getting it back in. This thing has no power steering. I won't even go into detail about the rear view mirror that won't stay put or the side view mirror that hangs there doing nothing helpful. I put all of my upper body muscles to work in that thing yesterday. Verdict? I loved every minute of it. Yeah, the thing is 39 years old. Yeah, it's got an oil leak. Yeah, it looks like hell. It's more fun than I could have imagined. After finally making it my own, I decided I'll eventually put a new engine in it. This thing can't even get out of its own way. That wouldn't be a problem in a smaller city. That's a major problem in a city with so many freeways and fast cars. I talked to the mechanic today. A new engine will also require a new transmission. I figured that. Of course, all of this will cost money I don't have and don't foresee having in the near future. Still, I'm someone who needs to be challenged. Life is boring when things are too easy. This bus is my latest challenge. I'm up to the task. I'm gonna turn it into something reliable enough to drive down to San O or San Diego on occasion. That's a promise.

7 Comments:

At 5/30/07, 11:41 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

Are my eyes closed?!? That might explain my surf style!

 
At 5/30/07, 1:23 PM, Blogger BeanCountingSurfer said...

Oh man, that bus sounds like a lot of fun!

 
At 5/30/07, 4:48 PM, Blogger Bill Graber said...

Just remember the worst day of surfing is better then the best day of working

 
At 5/30/07, 4:57 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Yep, your eyes are clamped shut. When I saw the picture, that was the first thing I noticed!!

 
At 5/30/07, 5:08 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Oooo LaLa, nice moves sisters,nice.
I've got some real similar moves too!

surf on...

 
At 6/18/07, 10:31 AM, Blogger J said...

SurfSis,
The bus is cool. My family had at least 6 Vdubs a long time back.
Maybe I missed something but, you sure the tranny is gone? Maybe it is, but the way you worded it - made me wonder what the mechanic said. Hate to see someone get a new tranny just 'cause the motor is tired.

Power: Back a few decades you could get a fair power increase with a Holly 2 barrel carb + matching intake mani and a better exhaust. Just those three things made quite a diff and it was an off the shelf kit. Not too expensive. Gene Berg (So Cal) was a prime supplier of hot VW stuff that way, might still be around. That kit really waked up my friend Rod's early 70's camper we used to go surfing in. I'll bet the kits still available. There also used to be lots of books on heating up VW engines. Might be worth a look. There were a few details that would increase longevity too, like the smaller diameter head studs.

Anyway, just thinking.
John

 
At 6/19/07, 8:57 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

John C, the tranny would only be upgraded if the motor is. The new motor, which would have longer gears, would be too much for the OG transmission.

I'm going to look into your suggestion. Someone else told me the same thing. Thanks for the information. Keep it coming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home