24 May 2007

Is This a Pissing Contest?

Consider that the question of the day. Truthfully, it's the question of the month. It's something I keep coming back to when I consider a comment someone made about my most recent (and now outdated) quiver pictures. Why is it that someone with a quiver full of shortboards is complimented while someone with a quiver full of longboards is criticized? I remember one commenter suggesting, upon seeing the picture of my quiver, I have too many longboards. In sports, aren't you supposed to play to your strengths (and preferences)? I can surf a longboard with more than a modicum of skill and style. I'm intrigued by shortboards at times, but I do little more than flail around like a wayward sea creature when I'm on one. Part of that is due to the lack of water time on shortboards. The other reason for that is I can't wrap my head around me on a shortboard. I don't visualize myself on one . . . ever. It's not my thing. Now, I will surf a shorter board, but let's not confuse such a board with a shortboard. And this is why my quiver is full of longboards. Each one is different. I can tell you how and why they differ. I've seen pictures of shortboard quivers with boards that look virtually the same. Still, I know the owner appreciates the nuances between the boards. I also never questioned why there was no longboard in the quiver.

So I can't help but wonder why anyone cares what you or I surf? Shortboard, longboard, fish. You paddle, you pop up, you do your thing and you go home happy. Your wave riding vehicle of choice is of little importance in this equation.

5 Comments:

At 5/25/07, 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be nice....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo2wRvJ04ss

 
At 5/25/07, 6:48 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Surfing is one of the last FREE, unregulated sports. This contributes to its greatness.
By listening to many surfers you would believe they want regulation.
So many are so concerned with what I wear,look like, surf on, where I surf, and how I surf.
God look at daily donkey. Now I realize that this is supposed to be in fun, but calling an old guy a janitor because hes on a paddleboard holding a paddle is, well, sick. Hell, these little puke assed punks would be living in their own filth and garbage if it wasn't for janitors, a noble profession. Most of the folks that make those comments have a real self image problem. I could go on forever about this, but wont.
It's a stoke kill.
Surf on whatever you want, wherever you want, however you want, in any style you want and fuck the rest of em. Fuck em !

surf on...

 
At 5/25/07, 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those dickwipes that use those paddleboards like that guy on the instant boulder website are just pathetic. go back to sponging...

 
At 5/25/07, 8:30 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Hahahahaha,
case in point,sisters and brothers, case in point.

surf on

 
At 5/26/07, 8:50 AM, Blogger SlowPolk said...

I have 'too many' longboards and it makes me happy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home