12 November 2006

Sunday in the Saddle

I actually wanted to surf today. I thought about it. I obsessed about it. I moped. I did everything I do when I'm not sure I'll get the go-ahead from Soul Brother #1 to surf. And after all that, I went for a bike ride. My man is trying to get back in shape and I have what looks like a new bike (same parts, different frame). It was time to get back on our stallions. I was also a bit freaked out yesterday when some of us at the home break realized we kept drifting into brown, warm water which we quickly decided was poop water (or red tide). I'm getting better at saying no to questionable water and chose to let the waves get ridden without me.

However, I did go out yesterday. Once again, the home break delivered some nice rollers. They actually had shoulders! I couldn't believe it. Two days in a row. And I got to spend most of the session with Grace and Ria, both of whom make me laugh. With Ria's recent surfboard purchase, there are now two Slicks at the home break. Yes, I was on my longboard. I didn't even bother to take the shorter board. I think, in retrospect, the waves would have cooperated but I wasn't sure. Still, I was more than satisfied with the waves I got on the Slick. Now, of course, I'm back to loving longboards more than ever and wanting another Slick again. (Ignore me and these ever-changing moods. I'm a Gemini. This vacillation is typical of me.) Why did Ria tell me there were some new Slicks in at my favorite shop? I ran down there today with Soul Brother #2 to take a look. Yep. My Hap Jacobs is gone. I did see a new Slick I can work nicely with. I think I may do some board trading soon. I can part with the Channel Islands 7'0" single fin since I now have a Merrick 7'1". I don't much like the way the former surfs anyway. I'm also thinking of parting with my funboard. It's on loan to a friend right now. I never think about that board. It was supposed to be my transition board. I used it for awhile and then made a big jump (in terms of size) down to the Merrick. So there's no need for it in the quiver. Ah, what to do? What to do?

8 Comments:

At 11/12/06, 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is time for a quiver shot

 
At 11/12/06, 8:36 PM, Blogger Bill said...

tell me more about that Chris Slick you got yer eye on......

 
At 11/13/06, 6:47 AM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Bill, it's hard to describe the boards Slick makes. For me at least, they're perfect. I like my Slick more than I like my Tyler (perish the thought). I think it's because the board does essentiall the same thing as the Tyler but is weighs half as much, turns more easily, and noserides almost as well. The Slick I'm looking at is longer than the one I have now. That means, of course, that I'm thinking of parting with the Tyler too. I feel the need to drastically re-make my quiver. Can you tell?

 
At 11/13/06, 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand being a Gemini, (May 23rd is my birthday). Living here in the Outer Banks of North Carolina a surfer has to keep a long board handy because our wave conditions are so erratic. I f you do have a long board then you probably wont do much surfing in the summer in the OBX. My favorite is an 8’3” Ted Kearns Da’ Mini. I also use a TK 9 ft nose rider. (I just love my Ted Kearns boards).

 
At 11/13/06, 11:42 AM, Blogger 6ftnperfect said...

never sell the Tyler. Do get rid of the CI you don't like and the funboard. I'm thinking of culling the herd too, maybe Project Log.

 
At 11/14/06, 9:24 AM, Blogger jchack said...

How much for the CI 7' 0' single fin?

 
At 11/14/06, 9:03 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Call me, Jeffery. We'll discuss it.

 
At 11/15/06, 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had so much fun on Sat! Except on Grace's board. There were times I was paddling for a wave, and didn't catch it because a) it wasn't breaking or b) I was laughing too hard.

What Slick were you looking at? Details pls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home