30 May 2006

Three-peat

At this point in my life, it doesn't get any better than three straight days of surfing. I've not been able to do anything like that for close to three months. I won't accrue any vacation time until I've been here for a year, thus it's unlikely I'll be doing any three-peats again until either June (if I take my paid birthday leave on a Friday or Monday) or Labor Day weekend. I wasn't even sure I could handle another day of surfing given the muscle soreness I already had, but I was wrong. By the third day, I was surfing like my old self, willing and able to paddle harder for waves. It didn't hurt that I was at the home break with most of the crew. You can't help but smile and laugh when you're in the water with this bunch. I spent several truly magical years with them. There was a time when most of us, for whatever reasons, were surfing together just about every day. During that time, I was either unemployed, working temp jobs, or working part-time. I had nowhere else to be in the morning, so I chose to spend my time in the water. Many of the others were in the same situation. Fast forward a few years and everything has changed. What we had is now over. It was certainly fun while it lasted.

4 Comments:

At 5/31/06, 9:01 AM, Blogger reverb said...

...time goes by...

 
At 6/2/06, 5:59 PM, Blogger BeFrank said...

I always find comfort in the beauty of a happy memory. It's a delicate balance to hold the past in high regard while facing the daunting prospect of creating more memories while juggling the responsibilities of complicated adult lives.

. . .or maybe that's just me.

 
At 6/2/06, 6:05 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

beFrank, it's not just you. Those first few years of surfing were a gift, especially when you consider that I didn't start surfing until I was 39. But because of my job situation (or lack thereof), I had the luxury of spending serious time in the water. As a result, I caught on rather quickly. And our little crew was its own little family. It was nice.

 
At 6/3/06, 11:43 AM, Blogger BeFrank said...

39!!!!

I'm going to finish my sandwich and maybe have one more beer, then I'm going to go right out and sit in my hammock and think about getting back into my exercise routine.

Mostly joking, but actually pretty inspired.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home