26 May 2006

And Then There Were Five



I know I hinted that I was going to buy another longboard. That was certainly my intention. I did have one on layaway that I had every intention of buying. But as I thought about my quiver and what I thought I needed, I couldn't justify buying yet another longboard. What would be the purpose of that? Yes, I love my Slick. I still believe I will break it some day. Now I think it's silly to buy another in anticipation of that day. Such a board would probably do a lot of sitting. That makes no sense to me. So I reconsidered and decided to free my mind of my preconceived notions. As a result, I decided on an Al Merrick M13. I'm a little surprised I allowed myself to think outside the box into which I've confined myself for the last few years. It's time to once again step up my game. Now I admit that this board will be the death of me mainly because I lack the time to surf it and learn it quickly. I'm not comfortable with that prospect. Nonetheless, I know I've got to at least try. It's supposed to be good in knee high to double overhead waves—yeah, like I'm going to charge Pipeline any time soon! It's said this board is somewhere between a funboard and a shortboard. That's perfect. I've got my longboards dialed in. My funboard is easy to surf. But they all still lack that je ne c'est quoi. So, I went for this. Granted, I do have a 7'0 single fin. That's a retro board. This is a 7'1" tri-fin with a buttload of rocker and a good amount of width. Whiff, are you going to help me learn how to ride this thing?

3 Comments:

At 5/27/06, 8:35 AM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

I will absoulutely help. But first, I must become intimately familiar with said board. Please drop it by my house and I'll return it upon dialing it in for you.

 
At 5/27/06, 12:24 PM, Blogger reverb said...

...I doubt that a board with this outline and length rides good in knee high waves...will ride but stiff...it will describe long arcs and enter to the wave later...

...30 or 40 waves (your average type of waves), if a board dont work for you with all those waves, the board is a dead one for you...

 
At 5/28/06, 5:10 PM, Blogger gracefullee said...

Nice. Now you've got to do one of those quiver pictures.

I'm still at four. The 10'0" Boss didn't come through for me, but I'm okay with that. It just wasn't meant to be. Patience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home