07 March 2006

I Quit!!

No, I didn't. Although my track record shows I don't stay in jobs for long, I'm not even thinking about leaving this job. The only thing wrong with it is that I don't get a chance to surf anymore. I swear the people who run this company are on crack. What company pays for your medical insurance, gives you every holiday under the sun, gives you your birthday off, gives you 40 hours in sick leave, and gives you two personal days? Is this for real? The personal days can be taken in increments. That means once I'm done with my probation, I can go in late every once in awhile and get paid for it. I'm already scheming. I'll arrange to come in four hours late, drop off Soul Brother #2 at daycare at his (new) normal time, and then have a couple hours of surfing in the morning. That means I'll be getting paid to surf! Now why would I leave job like that? I'm also thinking that once a month or so, I'll ask Soul Grandmother #1 to let Soul Brother #2 spend the night. That way, I'll be able to do a dawn patrol session once in awhile. Hey, I'm willing to do these things if it means I can get in the water during the week since weekend sessions aren't a given. I've not personalized my cubicle yet. Why bother until after you've made it through the probation period? Right now, my desk is sporting a tide book, a Quiksilver sticker, and the picture of me (surfing, of course) with Farrah Fawcett's head swapped out for mine. The latter is the wallpaper on my computer. That picture still makes me laugh for some dumb reason. I'm also worried about losing my surfing fitness so I've stepped up my workouts, rising at 5 to lift weights, row, or ride my bike on the trainer. The last thing I want is to find that my surfing is getting worse as a result of a lack of fitness. That would just be wrong! I'll keep writing in the blog. It's too much fun to give up.

5 Comments:

At 3/8/06, 11:00 AM, Blogger dave rich said...

I knew u had it in you! i mean cmon, just imagine the average texas surfer and you'll feel so much better. We have no surf. When it gets good, you better not miss it because we go weeks upon weeks without decent surf. Summertime? FLAAAAAAAAAAT until a nice hurricane rolls through. Haha, and the blog is just too easy to keep up with.

 
At 3/8/06, 1:02 PM, Blogger Nate said...

It's really good to hear you won't be leaving the surf or the fury. (I'm assuming here that fury means what it takes to blog.)

:) Congratulations.

 
At 3/8/06, 6:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Must be a Government job! Ha ha, I was right, no? You can't resist the siren's song...Welcome back to the water and the blogging!

 
At 3/8/06, 8:53 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

It's not a government job. I'm working for a huge sporting goods retailer. It feels (and I'm talking about the karma in the building) like a good, decent place to work. There are the negatives, of course, but the positives far outweigh them.

 
At 3/9/06, 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing, isn't it, working for a good company? My new employers give us 15 days vacation AND 10 sick days per year AND 8 paid holidays AND 2 "personal days". (Wireless telecom engineering firms are DA BOMB!)I think you'll find that being in a great work environment makes everything else in your life that much better. Congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home