18 January 2006

Kooky is as Kooky Does

Wow, I truly suck when it comes to surfing in cold water. Yep, I'll use the temperature as the reason why I can't seem to get it together lately. CYT and I went out yesterday. We found a small peak next to a spot where we usually surf. It looked easy enough from afar. But damn if I couldn't figure that wave out for the life of me. I was on the funboard. I didn't catch anything until I switched boards with CYT. Then when we switched back, I caught one or two more. I don't even know why I went out. The cramps (yes, cramps! This is the surf blog of a female so you knew I would bring that up some day, right?) and the cold water were simply too much for me . . . or at least I'd like to think that was the reason for my mediocre session. And you know what? I do all this complaining about being cold and still go right back out there. Expect to hear more about my horrible winter sessions on Friday.

5 Comments:

At 1/18/06, 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't believe you are complaining about cold water in southern california. Think about the people in northern, CA, oregon, canada, fuckin alaska! people up there and on the east coast scrape ice off their cars to go surf. don't complain until you are wearing a 5/4/3 suit, 5mil gloves, booties, hood, and trecking through snow on the beach. KOOOOOOOOOK! hahaha

 
At 1/18/06, 10:10 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Are you kidding me? 5/4/3? I probably wouldn't be able to raise my arms enough to paddle out, let alone handle the temperature of the water. I give the folks in those places their props. I couldn't do it. So I will continue to complain about being cold here, thank you very much!

 
At 1/19/06, 12:45 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

Damn, if I had to wear all that crap just for a water sport, I'd go snowboarding instead. But I don't. You know why? It's too damn cold!

 
At 1/19/06, 8:34 PM, Blogger Jim said...

SISSIES!!! (Said from the comfy confines of our cave/den, wall-to-wall couch, mucho blankets. C'mon, we've got a WINTER STORM WATCH!!!! It might snow in 24 hours or something. . . . )

 
At 1/20/06, 12:02 PM, Blogger dave rich said...

ahh finally! someone else who sucks in cold water hahahaha. im a gulf surfer (TEXAS BABY) and damn the water gets cold up here in the houston area. you wouldnt think it did, but damn. i cannot surf worth a crap in cold water, and i mean 65F and under, im done. i have to be in board shorts and comfortable before i can really start enjoying myself and working the waves. now i did have 1 good winter session this winter, 64F water, i was actually doing ok in my suit (maybe its too old/thin?). coldest i have been out was 55F water, a cold front hit in the middle of surfing(gives us our offshores) and it was raining with like low 40s air temp. i had on a 3/2 i think, booties, AND a springsuit pulled over that just to try and stay warm, it worked very little however.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home