27 October 2005

Six Degrees of Separation

The new job is one which involves a great deal of chit chat with people. So far, I've met a couple who have a balsa wood wallhanger that was shaped by Hap Jacops. Jacobs gave it to them as a wedding present decades ago. Yesterday I talked to a man wearing a pair of cool Billabong corduroy shorts. I told him I surf and loved those shorts. As it turned out, his last name was August. When I asked if he was any relation to Robert August, his mouth fell open and he said, "You really do surf!" I've also met people who regularly surf at spots I frequent. It really is a small world. The couple I mentioned earlier said they could get Jacobs to make me a custom board for way under $1000. Of course, I've never seen them again, but I will. They did say they would tell Mr. Jacobs to come and see me. I won't hold my breath and I don't need any more boards, but if I can get Hap Jacobs to hook me up, why wouldn't I jump all over that?

I'm off today. Instead of surfing, I'm going to the movies. I never go to the movies . . . ever. The last thing I saw was The Incredibles. Today I'm going to see Capote. I'll surf tomorrow. I'll try not to forget my leash!

2 Comments:

At 10/27/05, 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be really something if you could. From what I hear he lives permanently in Hawaii and no longer shapes.

 
At 10/28/05, 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt Calvani shapes Bings and Haps boards. He's a master.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home