13 June 2005

Stupid is as Stupid Does

I've got a slight injury so I decided to forgo surfing today. See, tomorrow is my birthday and I've surfed on my birthday for the last three years since I've only been surfing for three years. It's become a tradition. (Truthfully, I've always held the tradition of working out on my birthday. Sometimes I biked. Sometimes I ran in the soft sand at the beach. Now I surf.) I wanted to rest my shoulder for tomorrow so I got it into my head that I'd do a birthday bike ride. I'd ride 42 miles to celebrate turning 42. Let me just say this: it seemed like a good idea in theory. Now, several hours later, I'm ready for my nap!!! That ride took everything I had. Yes, I've been riding lately, but I haven't done this kind of mileage. I'm starting to think that ride was a stupid idea, especially since I did it while suffering through a bad case of hay fever (which had me sniffling and sneezing while out in the water yesterday).

I'm going out tomorrow, hoping for a little bit of the predicted swell to show up somewhere. Depending on how my shoulder feels, I'll probably take the rest of the week off. Okay, we all know I don't take days off. I simply mean I won't surf for the rest of the week if my shoulder still feels sore. I think I've got mild tendonitis. With all of the sports injuries I've had in my lifetime, I'm able to distinguish one type of pain from another. I've broken bones, torn ligaments, pulled muscles, and had inflamed tendons. This feels like a a sore tendon. If worse comes to worse, I'll go in for treatment. Our home break has not one, but two acupuncturists in the lineup. Now that I think about it, I could spend an entire week talking about the various jobs held by the folks at our break . . . but I won't.

4 Comments:

At 6/13/05, 9:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, there's that weird kineticism again. I have a tradition of surfing on Christmas Day, no matter what(including two years on in Rhode Island 35 degree water temps and snow!). Maybe everybody has one day that's "their day?" Happy Birthday, hope you get good waves!

 
At 6/14/05, 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday surf sister!
Raise the flag...you're never too old to be stoked!

Surf's up, see you on the water.

 
At 6/14/05, 10:50 AM, Blogger gracefullee said...

Happy birthday! I sent you an e-card, I hope you got it. I also hope you had a good surf on your birthday. I couldn't get myself out of bed because of the June gloom, but since it was your birthday, I sense it is sunny wherever you are.

 
At 6/14/05, 2:15 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

Happy 42nd!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home