06 March 2005

And I Thought I Was Proud of His Verbal Abilities

No surfing today, as is typical of my Sundays. I try to give my husband some time to do his thing. That meant, of course, that my surf jones would not be easily placated. At this point, I've got a monkey on my back that won't quit. He left and the thought of sitting at home with an energetic toddler was not one I cherished. I said "F#@! it" to myself (since I rarely, if ever, swear out loud anymore—motherhood), grabbed the kid and a 9'0" board bag, and headed back to Just Longboards. I decided I would never get that board out of layaway if I tried to save up the cash. So I went to get my board. I got a lot of positive feedback about that board while I was there. I heard the word "sick" twice. Obviously, I've stopped kicking myself about that board. What's done is done. I'm building a quiver. Don't stand in my way! Damn the torpedoes! Banzai!

Now, see, I haven't told my husband about this purchase. In fact, I rarely tell him about the boards I buy anymore. He knows about the 7'0" because he was there when I inquired about it. But other boards have come and gone over the last year and a half. He never seems to notice. So why bother telling him anymore? I don't want to hear his mouth. (I'm as bad as the guys who don't tell their wives how much their boards cost except I don't even mention that I got a new board.) It's not like we'd fight over it or anything. He knows I sell a board and then replace it with another most of the time. He also knows that people have more than one board. Still, I'd rather keep my board buying and selling habits to myself. As the quiver establishes itself, I'll start showing him the boards. Anyway, my point is that I had no intention of telling him I got a board today. At least I thought my secret was safe . . . until a little voice in the back seat said, "You got a new surfboard?" I'd forgotten about him! I thought he was so busy looking at Nemo in the fish tank (which was made by Greg Noll) that I assumed he had no interest in the board or the fact that it was coming home with us. What's worse is when I didn't answer, he had the nerve to ask me again!

Now I have to wait and see whether he narcs on me to his dad. The board is in the garage. I'm hoping for my child it will be a case of "out of sight, out of mind". What I find funny is that my husband will go in the garage when he comes home. He'll never notice that the board rack, which has been empty for about a month, now has a board on it again. Granted, all of my boards live in bags, but wouldn't you notice when something that big comes and goes? Do you see why I don't even bother to tell him when I buy a board? Of course, I'll have to tell him about it sooner or later. If I ever take it out on a weekend, he'll see that it's new (since we usually all go to the beach together and he does know what my boards look like). If nothing else, my surf jones is better now.

5 Comments:

At 3/6/05, 3:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have fun on the new board! Slick does good work, you should like it a lot.

 
At 3/6/05, 7:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How's about a photo? Every board is a work of art, don't hide it!

 
At 3/7/05, 12:43 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said...

Just a thought here, but, doesn't your husband read your blog? I'd be more worried about that than my toddler narcing on me. At least with the kid you can just say "he doesn't know what he's talking about." :-)

 
At 3/7/05, 4:03 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

No, he doesn't read it. It's bookmarked and the "History" of my internet use is easy to track. But he's never looked.

 
At 3/8/05, 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty funny whiffle-boy's worrying about your husband reading your blog. As much complaining as he does about his wife on his blog seems a bit like the pot calling the kettle black! Maybe she doesn't read the blog either, lol.

Dig the new board. More power to ya sis-tah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home